My Device Forums
March 29, 2024, 07:21:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Sonos Basic has been released!  Download the trial today from www.mydevice.com.au

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Popcorn Hour C200  (Read 50803 times)
Matt
Administrator

It's my device...

View Profile WWW
« on: October 09, 2010, 11:28:56 AM »

Started work on a 1-way driver (the PCH doesn't provide any feedback) for the C200.  Basically it'll emulate the remote control over IP.  One less IRmitter to worry about...
Oz AVI
Regular

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 03:58:28 PM »

Hi Matt,
          after seeing that you're developing a driver for the Popcorn Hour unit, I had a look at it online. Looks very interesting, to the point that I've ordered one, they don't expect to be shipping until around the 28th of this month (direct from China), so, hopefully early next month I'll be able to see if it works as well as hoped.

Iain
Matt
Administrator

It's my device...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 05:04:21 PM »

Hi Matt,
          after seeing that you're developing a driver for the Popcorn Hour unit, I had a look at it online. Looks very interesting, to the point that I've ordered one, they don't expect to be shipping until around the 28th of this month (direct from China), so, hopefully early next month I'll be able to see if it works as well as hoped.

Iain

Hi Iain,

Apart from it not providing feedback via IP, i've been very happy with it.  Rock solid media player.
Matt
Administrator

It's my device...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 10:46:43 PM »

Driver seems to be working well.  Testing will start soon.
Matt
Administrator

It's my device...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 03:16:46 PM »

Fixed a bug with the ENTER key not being handled correctly.
Oz AVI
Regular

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 05:51:15 PM »

Matt,
       they've just charged my Visa card (I hope that's a good sign), so the unit should be on it's way, hopefully within a week I'll have it.
Matt
Administrator

It's my device...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 07:25:46 PM »

Matt,
       they've just charged my Visa card (I hope that's a good sign), so the unit should be on it's way, hopefully within a week I'll have it.

Great, be good to get a 2nd opinion on the driver.  I've been using it for the past week in my lounge room and it seems pretty good.
Xylifrost
Regular

ground control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 03:45:57 PM »

WDTV Live?

I dont really know anything about the Popcorn Hour products, but im assuming it doesnt do Live TV the WDTV Live doesnt either

For affordable luxury cars rental in NY check my personal site.
Matt
Administrator

It's my device...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 04:32:28 PM »

WDTV Live?

I dont really know anything about the Popcorn Hour products, but im assuming it doesnt do Live TV the WDTV Live doesnt either

Nope its for playing media files only.
drewski300
Beta Tester

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 02:24:38 PM »

Matt,

How have you liked it? I ordered one a week ago and expect it within a week or so. I was hoping it could handle my 720p movie files that the ATV cannot.

Matt, is the C200 capable of metadata and possibly cover art? I know that would be a much bigger undertaking but I was just curious. I'm excited to see you worked on this.
Matt
Administrator

It's my device...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 02:29:01 PM »

Matt,

How have you liked it? I ordered one a week ago and expect it within a week or so. I was hoping it could handle my 720p movie files that the ATV cannot.

Matt, is the C200 capable of metadata and possibly cover art? I know that would be a much bigger undertaking but I was just curious. I'm excited to see you worked on this.

I love my popcorn, for the price I think it's great value.

As for metadata and coverart, there is no documented 2-way interface to query, so the short answer is no.  Who knows if they'll add anything in a future firmware update.
Xylifrost
Regular

ground control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 11:13:47 AM »

I have a popcorn hour at the moment, however, its really not fulfilling my needs now as Ive upgraded to a 1080p panel.

Some 1080p files stutter or dont play at all on my PCH and the lack of youtube/web browsing is a bit annoying.

How much am I looking at for a HTPC that can play 1080p files and sometimes higher resolutions? I have a harmony remote now, is it possible to get an IR receiver or something similar to use?

For affordable luxury cars rental in NY check my personal site.
drewski300
Beta Tester

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 12:40:20 PM »

I got mine yesterday and just starting to dig into this thing. I bought it to replace my ATV that was not playing my 720P M4V files properly. So far so good! Every thing I've tried has worked. I even did backup a copy of Inception as a .m2ts file (30gb) and that worked great as well. I haven't watched a movie from start to finish but the files I watched look awesome on the C200.

What file format are you using for your movies?

Most computers with a dual or quad core processor would work fine. You simply need a decent video card, a little processor speed, some RAM, and a movie managing software. I don't have any experience with controlling a computer with IR but I would suggest going with a wireless keyboard regardless otherwise it will make surfing the internet and everything else more difficult. I chose PCH for it's simplicity! Now after I've had it for a day I've realize there is a lot more to it than expected.

My next project is learning more about RAID configurations to back all this crap up!
brandenpro
Regular

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 03:45:05 PM »

I would love to test this driver out on my A-200.  I have been a PCH user for almost 2 years now.  You guys running the NMJ yet?
drewski300
Beta Tester

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 09:39:27 PM »

I was going to try to read up on it this weekend. From what I read NMJ really slows down the browsing and that makes me nervous. You?
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: